Houston, Texas, is a fabulous place to plan a trip to, but it can be a bit of a handful if you’re not appropriately prepared. With that in mind, here are some tips on maximizing your time in this Texan treasure trove, from getting around to seeing the sights.
Is Houston Safe for Driving?
When planning a trip to any new city, it’s important to evaluate the safety factor of driving there. In Houston, the road infrastructure generally keeps pace with traffic demands, making it quite safe for drivers. Traffic rules are rigorously followed, so you can expect disciplined driving on well-planned and maintained roads.
Of course, if you do encounter any automotive issues while driving in the city, hiring a Houston car accident lawyer will help you resolve the fallout swiftly. Simply stay alert and drive responsibly to ensure an enjoyable, worry-free excursion around this bustling Texan metropolis.
What About Public Transport Options?
Thanks to a plethora of accessible public transportation options, Houston has lots of choices for non-drivers.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The METRORail light rail service offers three lines across the city.
- Regular bus services, again operated as part of the METRO system, are numerous and affordable.
- Taxis and rideshare services like Uber or Lyft are available everywhere.
- Rental bikes through the BCycle program offer a way of getting around for green-minded travelers.
Where Should You Visit?
Houston is an abundant and diverse city, so unsurprisingly boasts a slew of intriguing destinations that attract visitors year-round. Whether you have an interest in arts, history, food, or just plain fun, there’s something for everyone, including:
- Space Center Houston: This is where space exploration comes alive. Interesting exhibits and live demonstrations make it thrilling for people of all ages. It’s one of the top things to do in Texas before you die!
- The Museum District: Home to 19 different institutions, including the Museum of Fine Arts and the Houston Zoo, it’s a great place to add to your itinerary if you want yet more mind-expanding experiences during your trip.
- Buffalo Bayou Park: A perfect spot for outdoor activities with stunning skyline views.
- The Galleria Mall: Ideal for luxury shopping adventures, this mall even houses an indoor ice skating rink.
Moreover, if culinary delights spark up your radar, you should definitely explore Montrose District’s standout restaurants, each of which gives you a taste of authentic Texan cuisine.
Lastly, you could cheer on one of Houston’s professional sports teams, such as the Astros (MLB), the Texans (NFL), or the Rockets (NBA). Just be sure to check whether any games are taking place during your visit, and book tickets in advance if it’s a significant clash to avoid disappointment.
How can you Make the Most of your Houston Adventure?
When you’re exploring any city, it’s worthwhile to follow some general tips to optimize your travel experiences. Here are some handy tricks to ensure your time in Houston is well spent:
- Be Weather-Wise: Summers can be hot, so dress accordingly and stay hydrated. The same goes if you visit any other nearby cities during your trip.
- The Early Bird Gets the Worm: Start the day early, as popular spots get busy. The sooner you are up and about, the more you’ll see without being constantly hemmed in by other crowds of visitors.
- Be Sure to Try Local Food: Don’t miss out on Texas cuisine, as BBQ and Tex-Mex are must-haves and are simply more authentic and delicious than in any other part of the country or the world where they’re also served.
A happy trip to Houston, Texas, is easily attainable if you’re clued up on what the city has to offer, including where to go and how to get around, while also having a firm plan in place with plenty of time to spare.